Bromhexine contains the active ingredient bromhexine which belongs to a group of medicines called mucolytic agents which are used in conditions where breathing is difficult because there are a lot of secretions (also referred to as mucus) in your air passages. Bromhexine facilitates expectoration and effectively reduces cough. Moreover, this medicine functions by thinning your mucus and enhancing the secretion of mucus from the respiratory tract, specifically in cases of acute and chronic diseases affecting the bronchi and lungs, where there are disruptions in the excretion and transmission of mucus.
Is Bromhexine suitable for me?
Bromhexine is not suitable for everyone. Do not use it
- if you are allergic to bromhexine or to other ingredients of this medicine
- if you are pregnant, likely to get pregnant or are breast-feeding
- if you have a rare hereditary disease, which could be incompatible with any of the excipients of the medicine
- in children under 6 years of age
In particular, you must tell the doctor:
- if you or your child have or have had a stomach ulcer
- if difficulties with coughing last longer or are often repeated
- if you are pregnant or breastfeeding
Bromhexine interacts with other medicines. It is most important that you tell the doctor all the medications and herbal supplements that you are currently taking.
See the package leaflet for a complete list of possible contraindications and warnings.
How should I take it?
This medicine is available in form of tablets, syrup and oral drops.
You should take bromhexine exactly as instructed by your doctor or pharmacist.
Adults and children over 12 years: 1 tablet (8 mg) 3 times a day
Children from 6-12 years: ½ tablet (4 mg) three times a day
At the beginning of treatment, the daily dose for adult patients may be increased to 48 mg.
The product should store in cool, dry place, out of reach of sunlight, no higher than 25C and out of reach of children.
Product box contains 50 tablets